A Guide to Transforming Your Service into a Product: Steps for Scaling Your Business For service providers, it can be challenging to differentiate their services from their personal brand, which can limit business growth as customers may require their presence for the service, restricting the number of hours they can work. However, what if their service could be turned into a standalone product that can be sold independently of their personal brand?
Proctor & Gamble, a pioneer in product marketing, provides valuable insights on how to productize services. By adopting their approach, service providers can take their services to the next level and expand their businesses beyond the limitations of their personal brands.
Here are some steps to follow:
- Give Your Service a Name: Similar to Crest toothpaste, give your service a unique and memorable name that sets it apart from generic services. This will make it easier for customers to remember and distinguish it from other services.
- Provide Clear Instructions: To make your service feel more like a product, offer clear instructions on how to get the most out of it. This will help customers understand the value of your service and how to use it effectively.
- Include a Caution Label: Like Crest toothpaste, include a caution label or set of terms and conditions to explain what to avoid when using your service. This will help customers understand the limitations of your service and how to use it safely.
- Publish a Price and Be Consistent: Publishing a price and being consistent with it will make your service feel more like a product. This will help customers understand the value of your service and make it easier for them to compare it with other options in the market.
- Trademark Your Service: Protect your ideas and establish that your service is a unique offering by trademarking the terms you use to describe it. This will help you maintain control over your brand and prevent others from using it without your permission.
Productizing your service is the first step in separating your service from your personal brand and growing your business. By following these steps, you can create a standalone product that can be sold without relying on your presence, freeing up your time and allowing you to scale your business. So, take the plunge and productize your service today to take your business to the next level!