If you haven’t filed taxes in years, you may be wondering how many years you can file back taxes for in Canada. Though the majority of Canadians must file tax … Read more
Why would two companies in the same industry, with the same financial performance, command vastly different valuations? The answer often comes down to how much each business is likely to grow … Read more
Warren Buffett famously invests in businesses that have what he calls a protective “moat” around them – one that inoculates them from competition and allows them to control their pricing. … Read more
Doctors in the developing world measure their progress not by the aggregate number of children who die in childbirth but by the infant mortality rate, a ratio of the number … Read more
QuickBooks Online 101 – What You Need to Know As a small business owner, partner or sole proprietor, you may be wondering whether QuickBooks Online is right for your business. … Read more
My view is that there are two primary motivations:
- As a contractor providing services which are in demand you can charge a premium rate
- If the demand for your services offers continuity of work, you can realize significant income well above what you might have earned as a employee.
- Many people have worked for years as employees, believing this loyalty would create job security, only to see their jobs disappear as the result of common business strategies such as: mergers, Acquisitions, Outsourcing, Off shoring, etc.
- Unless you work for some level of civil services the idea of a job for life is a myth and even then, it can be at risk.
- As a contractor you can provide specialized services and through experience and training can position your expertise so that it appeals to the client community and ensures work continuity.
- Your skills and experience are what ensure your security.
There are 5 ways to enter a relationship to provide your services.
The first two involves your engagement either.
- a full-time employee (FTE) or
- as a temporary (Temp)
The province’s Employment Standards Act (ESA) clarifies employee rights and the obligations of the employer. Commonly an employer will also provide complementary detail in an Employment Agreement between yourself and the company.
The remaining three ways identify alternate ways for providing services as:
Use the Payroll Deductions Online Calculator (PDOC) to calculate federal, provincial (except for Quebec), and territorial payroll deductions. It will confirm the deductions you include on your official statement of earnings. You assume the risks associated with using this calculator. The reliability of the calculations produced depends on the accuracy of the…
This $55 billion program provides interest-free loans of up to $60,000 to small businesses and not-for-profits. Repaying the balance of the loan on or before December 31, 2022 will result … Read more